Office Hours, Services and Fees
Vital Records office will close early on Wednesday, November 22nd; please call 317-221-2000 before coming to the office to check on the hours.
Those people born (or authorized representative of those that have died) in Marion County have three options to purchase vital records.
- WALK-IN – Office hours are shown in the box to the left. The office is open different hours on Wednesday (open later and close later) to offer hours that may be easier for customers to come in for business; but please note, the office will close at 5 p.m. on Wednesdays before a Thursday holiday or when inclement weather is predicted or happens or when other conditions occur.
- VITALCHEK – In addition to walk-in service, there is an expedited service to process online requests through an independent company that MCPHD has partnered with to provide you this service. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted by VitalChek. Click here to submit your order.
- MAIL SERVICE – In addition, there is a traditional mail service available. The Mail Order request forms is for mail service orders only. The Birth or Death Certificate Request Form is not needed to obtain birth or death certificate in person at the walk-in office. The mail request form has been published using Adobe Acrobat.
IMPORTANT: The bottom portion of the birth certificate request form must be completed by a notary public.
- ACCEPTABLE ID – For Marion County vital records, you must have acceptable valid/current identification. If you do not have an ID from the Marion County list, you may have certain relatives with their valid/current ID obtain your birth certificate from the list (valid identification). No expired or temporary ID is acceptable (we do not accept the BMW paper/temporary driver’s license or state ID, you can wait until you get your card in the mail before coming to Vital Records).
- FEES – Fees (Click Here). There are additional fees for VitalChek mail orders and convenience fees where applicable. Credit or debit cards may be used in walk-in office and there is a $2.00 convenience fee for purchases up to $100.00 and 3% convenience fee for purchases over $100.00.
- THIRD PARTY AUTHORIZATION- An adult may authorize another adult to obtain his/her own Birth Certificate or that of his/her minor child (18 and under) by completing this form and have it notarized to present at the Vital Records office to receive in-hand his/her Birth Certificate when needed quickly/same day (and not available to do so him/herself in person). The Vital Records staff will not fax a Birth Certificate to anyone or any organization.