An Extended History of Keeping Marion County Healthy
An early epidemic struck settlers who arrived in Indianapolis in 1820, claiming the lives of one eighth of the population. This devastating outbreak was followed by repeated episodes of croup, cholera, and typhoid fever, highlighting the vulnerability of the growing community to communicable disease.
The first documented case of smallpox occurred in 1831, prompting a public meeting that resulted in the appointment of an informal Board of eight members tasked with ensuring that disease did not reach epidemic proportions—an especially challenging responsibility for that era. To support their efforts, the community also observed a day of fasting and prayer.
Just two years later, cholera again threatened the city, leading officials to allocate $1,000 for the construction of a hospital. However, when the epidemic subsided, the plans were abandoned after the Governor’s Circle Building was temporarily used to isolate cholera patients.
In 1848, one year after Indianapolis was granted its city charter, smallpox returned. When an Indiana politician died from the disease, general vaccination was ordered, and this time a lot was purchased with the intent of building a hospital. Seven years later, faced with yet another epidemic and through the determined efforts of Dr. Livingston Dunlap, the hospital finally became a reality.
The same recurring epidemics that underscored the need for a City Hospital also led to a more formal approach to public health. On May 4, 1859, the city established its first official Board of Health, charged with addressing contagious, infectious, malignant, and dangerous diseases that flourished before the availability of immunizations and clean drinking water.
As understanding of disease prevention improved, attention turned toward sanitation and environmental health. In 1863, regulations were enacted establishing sanitation standards for slaughterhouses and food markets, while also granting authority to inspect food. During this same period, ordinances were introduced to regulate the keeping of cows, hogs, and dead or diseased animals. The importance of adequate infrastructure was further recognized in 1871, when all hotels, restaurants, boarding houses, saloons, hospitals, and infirmaries were required to connect to the city sewer system.
Building on these advances, additional public health protections soon followed. Authorities gained the power to inspect premises and require their cleaning, standards for burials were established, and the recording of deaths was mandated. In 1873, a permanent Pest House was established, coinciding with the adoption of new privy regulations.
By 1875, sanitary codes had grown increasingly stringent, allowing for the condemnation and confiscation of unfit food. Dairy products such as milk and butter later emerged as public health concerns and were placed under the control of the Board of Health in 1889, signaling a broader commitment to food safety and environmental regulation.
Public health oversight expanded further at the state level with the creation of the Indiana State Board of Health in 1891, which placed all cities and counties under a mandatory system for recording births, deaths, and marriages. Some local regulations were incorporated into state law. This progression continued with the 1893 enactment, a state law granting the State Board of Health authority to examine water supplies and wells and to condemn those deemed unfit for use, serving as a forerunner of modern sanitation work and public health laboratories.
At the turn of the twentieth century, regulatory efforts accelerated. In 1904, inspections and regulations were required for hotels, restaurants, breweries, and distilleries, along with new plumbing sanitation laws. Regulations governing the control and disposal of garbage were followed in 1906.
In 1905, state law established the Board of Health and Charities in Marion County, provide for a full time health officer. Dr. Herman G. Morgan assumed this role in 1912 and served until his death in 1946. Much as Dr. William N. Wishard stabilized the hospital as superintendent, Dr. Morgan played a critical role in shaping and strengthening the Board of Health as it worked to protect the community.
Around this same period, preventive medicine began to take hold in public health, physicians’ offices, and hospitals. Previously, isolation in the Pest House had been the primary method of controlling communicable disease. As medical science advanced, prevention—especially through immunizations—became possible, significantly increasing life expectancy and improving disease outcomes.
A growing emphasis on child health emerged in 1909 with the creation of the Children’s Aid Association, aimed at improving infant and child welfare. Early interest in this initiative was sparked by the Indianapolis Pure Milk Association, and the Board of Health initially contributed on a voluntary basis, pledging $5,000 annually.
This focus expanded in 1913 with the establishment of a well baby clinic at Military Park’s Park House, operating during the summer months. At that time, 32 well baby clinics accounted for a large share of Community Health Nurses’ efforts, particularly in educating mothers about immunizations, nutrition, and emotional development. Physicians also provided care at both the clinic and a Fresh Air Camp.
Not until 1922 did the Children’s Aid Association successfully demonstrate that funding and supervision of infant welfare programs were the responsibility of the City Health Department. This realization led to the creation of the Child Hygiene Division under the Department of Public Health and Hospitals.
The Division of School Health was created in 1913, which included a nurse from the Marion County Tuberculosis Association. Ultimately, 123 Community Health Nurses staffed public and parochial schools throughout Marion County as part of their diverse responsibilities.
Another key component of the department was the Division of Tuberculosis Control, which once relied solely on isolation and prolonged hospitalization. While still an important public health focus today, advances in medicine have transformed how tuberculosis is treated and managed.
Over time, the Board of Health and Charities evolved into the Department of Public Health and Hospitals, governed by laws enacted in 1945 and 1947. These remained in effect until the Indiana State Legislature created the Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County in 1951, under which the organizations continue to operate.
The expanding reach and scope of public health are evident throughout this history. Over the years, responsibilities grew from outbreak response and sanitation to prevention, environmental regulation, and population wide health initiatives. Over time, these functions were consolidated and modernized within the Division of Public Health under the Health and Hospital Corporation.
Today, this evolution is reflected in the Marion County Public Health Department’s two bureau structure: the Bureau of Population Health, which focuses on disease prevention, health promotion, and community wellness, and the Bureau of Environmental Health, which oversees sanitation, food safety, and environmental protections.